Collecting silicon wafers

From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla_at_jarai.org>
Date: Sun Mar 9 22:04:01 2003

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Steve Jones wrote:
> Dave Wilson writes:

> > My interest is in collecting whole, undiced silicon wafers. These
> > are much more accessible for research and the interest does not
> > conflict with those of other people.
>
> [...]
>
> I haven't run across anyone systematically collecting wafers. The
> main question I'd have is, where's the supply? If there's not a
> large supply of available wafers, how many collectors can there be?
>
> Having opened my mouth and said that, someone will probably tell
> me that fab-rich places in Arizona, California, Oregon, and Texas
> are using them as wall decorations or something...

The San Jose Tech Museum's gift shop has them for sale at prices that
won't break you too badly. IIRC, it was somewhere in the $10-$30 range,
depending on their sizes. It looks like they're available for sale
online: <http://store.thetech.org/slicofsilval.html>

Of course, you can't get to pick and choose them like you would if you
were actually there. When I last visited, they had a variety of wafers
available.

-brian.