possibly OT: Enigma Cypher machine on e-bay.

From: Adrian Vickers <adrian.vickers_at_blue-edged.com>
Date: Mon Mar 10 09:10:00 2003

> Hi,
>
> "Adrian Vickers" <adrian.vickers_at_blue-edged.com> said:
> >
> > Absoulutely. Now, a /real/ rarity would be a 4-rotor U-boat
> cipher; of
> > which probably only hundreds were made, and most will be
> quitely rusting
> > & rotting at the bottom of the ocean...
>
> We have a salvaged U-Boat here on Merseyside, not far from Adrian's
> famous shed. I wonder what happened to the Enigma machine??

Good point; although as that Boat was sunk, I suspect the enigma was
destroyed either by the crew, or by spending 40-odd years under water.

I've heard that they're going to preserve it as-is (i.e. in it's rusty
wrecked state), which I think is a shame; it'd be interesting to see it
restored IMHO.

One of these days, I really must get around to visiting the historic
ships...