WTD: NEC V20 Hardware Manual, IBM PC schematics

From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw_at_mesanet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 11 12:46:00 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Hans Franke wrote:

> > I'm trying to track down a copy of the NEC V20 Hardware Manual. I've
> > managed to find a PDF version of the Software (programming) Manual, but the
> > Hardware Manual (which, typically, is filled with the info I need to get
> > this thing running) is a pain in the neck to find, especially now the V20 is
> > classified as obsolete by NEC.
>
> Wasn't the V20 100% Bus (and thus hardware) compatible
> to the 8088 ? AFAIK, the difference was just internal
> and softwarewise. The 86 core did in any way reassemble
> the 86 core of a 186 (same instruction timeing) plus the
> added 8080 mode.
>
> Gruss
> H.
>
> --
> VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
> http://www.vcfe.org/

I remember upgrading an XT clone with a V20 back in those days and it gave a
substantial speed boost (V20 has better hardware/microcode then 8088) There
were no BIOS changes needed, at least on the PC I had.

IICRC there were some compiler changes you could do for code optimization
since the V20 has quite a few added instructions including block I/O

BTW I have the V20 datasheet (in the NEC 16 bit V series 1991 data book)
should someone want to scan it (assuming there is no PDF of it on the web)

Peter Wallace