WTD: NEC V20 Hardware Manual, IBM PC schematics

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Tue Mar 11 12:23:01 2003

> > Sorry,
> > I can't help on the actual hardware manual. Can you get by with
> > docs for the 8088? I thought it was a drop-in replacement.
> I might be able to use the 8088 docs. The V20 is *supposed* to be a drop-in
> replacement, but IIRC it needed some (minor) BIOS alterations to get it to
> work properly in PCs when the 8088 was swapped with a V20.

Not that I know off. The V20 did behave exactly like an 8088.
At some point I did use them on every PC and XT I could. The
additional speed was quite cheap. The only time I couldn't
use a V30 was in the Siemens PC-MX, a small 8086 Unix box.

The self test functions did realy check the timing and result
of all instructions and quite a lot more stuff before jumping
to the boot loader ... so it flagged the V30 as internaly
dammaged...

Beside that one, every machine I erver tried, including original
PCs, second series PC, XTs and various clones did workl flawless
with a V20 (or V30) replacement.

The 'as good as possible' attitude of NEC was in my opinion the
reason for the quite weired switching between 8088 and 8080 mode.
Just to make it as compatible as possible.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/