collecting silicon wafers

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 11 17:35:35 2003

> sale are just transistors. I'd love to have a look at a wafer covered in ICs
> under a microscope. I've got a nice little SLR and it shouldn't be too hard
> to track down a bit of brass tubing to build a light-tight spacer to get it
> onto the microscope.

You might be able to get a proper microscope adapter for the SLR. I found
the one for my Exakta in a camera shop for \pounds 9.00, still in
original box (no, I don't care about that, I bought it to use [1]). OK,
that's a fair amount of money for a tube, but it is a nice tube, with the
bayonet mount, a couple of extension tubes you can fit or not as you
chose, the collet to clamp to the microscope, etc. Making it up would
have taken a lot of time.

You want to find an old-fashioned sort of camera shop, preferably one
that also sells second-hand cameras. They have the most amazing bits
hidden away.

[1] I picked up a reasonable Zenith microscope with several objectives
and eypieces for 20 quid or so in a charity shop (of all places).

-tony