OT: Software Documentation

From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla_at_jarai.org>
Date: Wed Mar 12 12:03:40 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Matthew Sell wrote:

> I work for a small consulting company that creates software for
> distribution. We're a low volume operation, and don't have many
> employees.
>
> I've been trying to rein in the whole development process to
> streamline it over the last couple of years, and now I need to
> streamline the methods by which we create documentation for our
> products.
>
> I'd love to know what systems people on this list use for creating
> software documentation (manuals, etc.), and I'd love to hear any
> recommendations for systems that allow for concurrent access (kinda
> like CVS), change approval, revision control, etc, etc.
>
> Are there any good open-source solutions available? I've been
> searching and gathering information, and I'd really appreciate hearing
> the experiences of others on this list.

You can use CVS in combination with either TeX, or Docbook,
or nroff, or HTML, or.... I don't think any "packaged" open
source products exist because it's easy enough to roll your
own sophisticated document production system with standard
development tools (CVS and make) combined with any number of
the dozens of freely available text processing tools.

-brian.