Mark-8 Minicomputer Kit on E-bay

From: Erik S. Klein <classiccmp_at_vintage-computer.com>
Date: Wed Mar 12 12:03:27 2003

Rob Borsuk wrote:

> Guys, honestly. If the person is happy paying $880 or $3300 dollars
for
> something then shake their hand and congratulate them. Just because
> some of us wouldn't pay that much for it doesn't mean that it doesn't
> make THEM happy.

I think you are missing the point. If the buyer was aware that this is
a reproduction kit and he bought it anyway then I agree with you
wholeheartedly. I often spend more for items I am interested in then
our more frugal list-mates would think rational. An informed consumer
making a decision should be happy about it.

If, on the other hand, the buyer believed that this was an "original"
Mark-8 (of 1974 vintage) then he will be disappointed, not happy, when
he realizes his error.

If, on the third hand (for those born near a radiation source), the
buyer was led to believe that this was an original, then he was
defrauded.

There is a strong parallel between this discussion and another hobby of
mine; old Corvettes. In Corvette circles, however, there are guiding
organizations that carefully research, document, classify and adjudicate
what is original and what is not for a given car. You can, therefore,
be sure that if you are buying a car judged by the National Corvette
Restorers Society as "Top-Flight" then you are getting a car that is 94%
original or better. Original in their case is defined as "that's the
way it came from the factory." Points are deducted for aftermarket
parts and modifications and undue damage to original parts.

The vintage computer hobby is probably a long way from that type of
situation, but many of the same "rules" apply and certainly the same
issues arise from time to time. At least amongst those that collect for
historical value over hacking value.

Erik S. Klein
www.vintage-computer.com