George Bush owns a Mark-8 Minicomputer Kit

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Thu Mar 13 12:00:01 2003

> > Even considering the outstanding historic relevance (beside that
> > to me a KIM is still way more cool than an Apple), and that even
> > KIMs get to be somewhat higher prices, the whole thing is in no
> > way understandable.

> The Apple-1 had built-in video. Only 200 were made. Probably less than
> 50 still exist. It also represents the start of the Apple Computer
> Company (now Apple Computer Inc.)

> The KIM-1 was just a single board trainer. Perhaps thousands were made.
> At least hundreds still exist. Commodore is dead :)

Who cares about Commodore (*ups - duck and cover*),
real KIMS where made by MOS!

> But Hans, I don't mean to rain on your parade. Your KIM-1 is truly rare
> and unique and incredibly historical given all that you mentioned. And
> you can't tell me the offer you received at VCF 5.0 didn't approach what
> a bare Apple-1 would sell for ;)

It was only 62% of the last A1 you sold ... and even less
considering prior sales.

> > My only conclusion is that people pay for hyped up names (see
> > the ridiculous for turnkey IMSAI/Altairs), and not historic
> > value - they just belive that the hype has so real background.

> And your point is? :) This has been the way of things for a long time. I
> call it the "Beanie Baby" or "Collect all 4!" mentality. They aren't
> collecting for actual relevance, but only for what they see others
> collecting and the hype surrounding it.

Shure, but that stuff is by any mean wothless anyway, so the
value is strict hype, while classiccomps have at least a
historc value.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/