PDP-11/24 Available in Virginia

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 14 09:59:00 2003

--- Christopher McNabb <cmcnabb_at_4mcnabb.net> wrote:
> ...PDP-11/24... available for pick up near Blacksburg in Southwest
> Virginia:
.
.
.
> http://cmcnabb.cc.vt.edu/~cmcnabb/projects/pdp11 .

Nice little system. I already have two 11/24s (one with 2MB, one
with 3MB!) and it's a little far to go for a duplicate, but someone
ought to find it to be worthwhile drive.

After spending about $300 (incl S&H) on the CPU, another couple hundred
on a KT24 and some extra memory, and, ISTR, $75 on an RL11) when I was
in college (c. 1987), I had mine beefed up enough to load 2.9BSD. I
wouldn't feel like I spent too much, except that it didn't see much
use after that, unfortunately, so on a per-hour basis, it was kinda
expensive. My disks were 3 x RL02, so I didn't really have enough
disk space to have fun with it.

The other one was free from work a few years later. It had been a RSTS
machine for nearly all of its life, first as an accounting box, then
later a product dev box when we ported the COMBOARD software to 8.something
then 9.3.

Yours would be great for either RSTS or RT-11. 1MB is a little tight
for 2BSD, but it should install, boot and be able to at least run
adventure in that much space. I wouldn't recommend it for multi-user,
though.

-ethan