No, it's an H/Z89 was: Re: Z-100 find ?

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 17 18:35:01 2003

> that. You also need to check on the controller board to see if it's set up
> for hard-sectored disc or softsectored ones.

There are several controller boards IIRC, and you can have 2 installed at
the same time. Mu Z90 has the hard-sectored controller (using a USRT
chip) connected to the internal drive and the double-density
soft-sectored controller (using a WD179x chip) connected to the 2
external drives (all 5.25" units). I beleive there was an 8" drive system
and a hard disk.

> The hard sectored (10 sectors) are probably long gone from this world. I

I still have one... Getting the disks is a problem. One day, when I've
got nothing better to do, I am going to modify a junk 5.25" drive by
mounting a punch/die in place of the index sensor and an indexing plate
on the spindle. Then I can punch my own hard-sector holes.

> still have mine and it occasionally gets the dust blown away.
> For those who learned to use a good typewriter this is the best keyboard ever
> installed on a PC.

I thought it was a fairly standard design, similar to the ones on the
VT100, early TRS-80, HP85, etc.