Subject: new finds

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed Mar 19 17:37:51 2003

Can you please trim unnecessary stuff from your replies. I've just
deleted 600 lines at the end of this message!. Some of us (not in the US)
have to pay by the minute for our downloads!

> Wow! You are complaining about receiving 'donations'? I'd love to have a

No, he's complaining about recceiving PCs :-)

> PDP-11 or an old VAX or even old Commodore equip. donated to me!

I don't think any of us would object to being given a PDP-n (for any
<n>), a VAX, or anything like that. It's no-name PCs which turn up
everywhere, which have little to distinguish them from other no-name PCs,
and which have little technical interest, that people sometimes moan about.

To be practical, _never_ moan at the donor. It's not unheard-of for them
to have other 'old and useless' machines hidden away which they will also
give you. Probably 8-bit micros (but they're interesting enough),
sometimes even nicer stuff.

And even PCs sometimes have interesting cards in them. I remember once
rescuing a pair of IBM PCs to discover that one had the expansion box
(and the driver/receiver cards + cable) and the other had a GPIB card in
it...

-tony