Subject: new finds

From: Mike <kenziem_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed Mar 19 21:03:00 2003

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 17:46, Tony Duell wrote:
> Can you please trim unnecessary stuff from your replies. I've just
> deleted 600 lines at the end of this message!. Some of us (not in the US)
> have to pay by the minute for our downloads!
>
> > Wow! You are complaining about receiving 'donations'? I'd love to have a
>
> No, he's complaining about recceiving PCs :-)
>
> > PDP-11 or an old VAX or even old Commodore equip. donated to me!
>
> I don't think any of us would object to being given a PDP-n (for any
> <n>), a VAX, or anything like that. It's no-name PCs which turn up
> everywhere, which have little to distinguish them from other no-name PCs,
> and which have little technical interest, that people sometimes moan about.
>
> To be practical, _never_ moan at the donor. It's not unheard-of for them
> to have other 'old and useless' machines hidden away which they will also
> give you. Probably 8-bit micros (but they're interesting enough),
> sometimes even nicer stuff.

I usually follow this advice and now my garage is overflowing. In one recent
case the person mentioned a few early Olivettis and an IBM portable as well
as several 386 vintage machines. I agreed to take them all to save him the
bother of hauling the 386s to the scrapper. Well he ended doing some house
cleaning the weekend before and got rid of the old machines after putting
aside the 386s for me.