4M expanded memory cards

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 13:19:38 2003

--- TeoZ <teoz_at_neo.rr.com> wrote:
> I remember paying close to $400 for 4 x 4mb 30 pin sims for my 386/40
> homebuilt machine so it would scream using windows 3.0.
> Funny how memory prices have gone to hell over the last few years.

As someone already pointed out - prices only drop drastically per meg for
new technologies. For old memory, the price drops slowly, then it rises
a bit once it's old enough to be legacy. Try and find some largish 30-pin
memory now - it's not the $25-$40/meg it once was, but some places still
get a lot for it (not that they *sell* a lot ;-)

> What was the point of the ISA memory addon boards, people running
> windows/286 and OS/2 1.x/2.x?

Yes, that and productivity apps that needed more space than 640K
(spreadsheets, CAD packages, etc.) plus games. There were plenty
of DOS games that needed more than ~500K.

-ethan