Tape media

From: Jerome H. Fine <jhfinepw4z_at_compsys.to>
Date: Sun Mar 23 15:31:00 2003

>Tony Duell wrote:

> > CompacTape I and CompacTape II were completely identical
> > in every detail - except for for the colour of the name on the case.
> > Usually The "CompacTape" label was brown; the "CompacTape II"
> > was usually blue. Oh yes, DEC charged a fair bit more for the tape
> This convention -- brown for low-capacity, blue for high capacity -- was
> used on other DEC media of course (RL01 and RK06 packs have brown
> handles, RL02 and RK07 packs have blue handles). Although in that case
> there are differences other than the colour.

Jerome Fine replies:

I would not mind at all if there were physical differences that
were required by the TK70. But when the ONLY two differences
were the "II" after the name "CompacTape" and the price, I
tend to think that perhaps DEC was ...

In addition, I also heard that in some cases, the TKQ50 controller
was unable to use the drive in a satisfactory manner. In those cases
the TKQ70 controller was needed for the TK50 drive. I have
actually tried the TKQ70 / TK50 combination and it works quite
well. It is still the TK50 drive with only the capacity of the TK50,
but it does operate a bit faster.

I realize that the TK70 drive arrived years after the TK50. Does
anyone know if the device drivers that can use the TK50 can always
use the TK70 as well?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk