CI trouble

From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini_at_iee.org>
Date: Mon Mar 24 16:44:00 2003

> could never get any of my CI stuff to work. I tried under
> ULTRIX 4.5 just to ping through the SCS (?) IP
> physical/data-link layer but to no avail. Don't get any
> errors configuring the interface and pinging, just no host

Is this supposed to work? I have no idea; I do know that it was
possible to use DECnet over CI under OpenVMS, but I don't recall
ever seeing that as a possibility for the VMS IP stack. Is
Ultrix supposed to be able to do this?

> reachable. I may not have the CI nodes configured right, I
> may need to figure out how to plug the jumpers on the VAXBI backplane.

According to my notes, I have a CIBCA manual somewhere. It's not
scanned, so that means it may take me some time to find it
(otherwise it would have been scanned by now!). Hopefully someone
will dig one out soon, otherwise I'll have ahunt around at the
weekend.

> Two additional observations: my HSC90 reports K.ci status 111
> and the CI LINK module tells me it is not happy. Also, when I

> try to boot any of the VAXen from media that I don't think is
> really bootable, I get some funny error on the console:
> "Insufficient memory for CI" (even though I have full boat of
> memory 0.5 GB in each VAX.) Could everyone be unhappy about
> something strange in the CI system?

Only two hits in google, one is you from a while ago, the other
is this:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/1999/08/20/0004.html

If your message looks like that (i.e. it starts %BOOT-F)
then it is either VMB or BOOT58 that is whining at you.
So it's not Ultrix, but the stage before that which
tries to get an OS started.

If I cannot find the CIBCA manual, I'll see if I can find
anything else that might have relevant info in. I do have
an HSC9x Installation Manual scan somewhere and maybe some
other HSC9x bits and bobs.

One thing I recall is that some of the later adapters were
capable of extra smarts, like 4K packets and being able to
use both CI paths simultaneously. The CIBCA is probably old
enough that it cannot do this. My recollection is that, for
most things, the newer stuff would "fall back" to the previous
mode and all would work (albeit suboptimally) but I'm sure there
were some settings that needed to be consistent throughout the
setup. Right now the details elude me. However, it might be worth
trying just the two VAXen in the cluster to start with (i.e. pull
out the StingRay and the HSC95) and see if the VAXen can see each
other at all. Naturally, I'd boot OpenVMS and cluster them to
prove it works, but I suspect you'd prefer a different approach :-)
Obviously, if your only attached drives are connected over the CI,
then you may have to think of something else!

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini             arcarlini_at_iee.org