CI trouble

From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow_at_regenstrief.org>
Date: Mon Mar 24 17:02:26 2003

Hi,

I have hooked up 2 VAX6k and 1 HSC90 and one MTI StingRay CI-SCSI
adapter to my two star couplers all properly. Still I could never
get any of my CI stuff to work. I tried under ULTRIX 4.5 just to
ping through the SCS (?) IP physical/data-link layer but to no
avail. Don't get any errors configuring the interface and pinging,
just no host reachable. I may not have the CI nodes configured
right, I may need to figure out how to plug the jumpers on the VAXBI
backplane.

Two additional observations: my HSC90 reports K.ci status 111 and the
CI LINK module tells me it is not happy. Also, when I try to boot
any of the VAXen from media that I don't think is really bootable,
I get some funny error on the console: "Insufficient memory for CI"
(even though I have full boat of memory 0.5 GB in each VAX.) Could
everyone be unhappy about something strange in the CI system?

Otherwise:
- who knows how the CIBCA is configured with the jumpers?
- who knows how best to debug CIBCA under Ultrix or VMS?
- who knows how to set up (and debug!) IP over CI on Ultrix?
   (I do not dare ask about IP over CI on VMS, but appreciate if
   there are answers.)

I also have a VAX6000 Diagnostics tape (TK50) which I should be
using. I tried booting from it but I get this "insufficient memory
for CI" error soon after the first few blocks are read from tape.
I also didn't see much in the way of VMB.EXE on that tape. Anyone
know what to do with a VAX6k diagnostics tape? Do I need to use it
under VMS? (PS: if someone needs VAX6k diagnostics, I could help :-)

regards,
-Gunther