Identification of an old machine

From: Hills, Paul <Paul.Hills_at_siemens.co.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 27 03:03:03 2003

This is going to be rather difficult I think. In 1977 when I first went to
high school, we had a visiting computer science teacher (the school didn't
own it's own computer). He used to come in with a PET mostly, but one day he
couldn't bring the PET so came in with this old machine which was roughly
cubic, each side about 2 foot. On the front it had a wiring panel where you
had to plug in patch leads, and a rotary dial like on old telephones which
was used to dial the numbers in. I don't remember how it displayed its
results.

Being a first year student and never faced with a computer before I had no
idea what to do with it, and so don't remember much about it. However, now
I'm intrigued - what was that beast? Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers,
paul