Identification of an old machine

From: Hans B Pufal <hansp_at_aconit.org>
Date: Thu Mar 27 03:58:00 2003

Hills, Paul wrote:
> This is going to be rather difficult I think. In 1977 when I first went to
> high school, we had a visiting computer science teacher (the school didn't
> own it's own computer). He used to come in with a PET mostly, but one day he
> couldn't bring the PET so came in with this old machine which was roughly
> cubic, each side about 2 foot. On the front it had a wiring panel where you
> had to plug in patch leads, and a rotary dial like on old telephones which
> was used to dial the numbers in. I don't remember how it displayed its
> results.

Interesting, I presume from your email address that this was in the UK.
The first thing that came to mind was the Wireless World computer, this
was a construction project published in the Aug thru Dec 1967 issues of
that magazine. (on my long list of things I to scan someday).

The 'computer' had an 8 bit word and a 3 word memory and an accumulator.
It could perform various arithemetic operations. The actual published
articles do not show a telephone dial but ISTR some mention of
extensions based on telephone equipment : dials and strowger switches.

The size and propotions seem to fit, the published design had switches
and lights on the front panel and no plug-board.

Do you recollect if the machine was homebrewed or manufactured?

   -- hbp