An on-topic machine *still* doing useful work

From: Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner <spc_at_conman.org>
Date: Thu Mar 27 22:57:00 2003

  I thought you guys might enjoy the following photographs of a 486 based
NCR 3230 that is *still* in use, as a colocated server running a dozen
websites (including mine [1]) and email:

              http://www.conman.org/people/myg/photos/tower486/

  The photos were taken by my friend (who happened to stop the colocation
facility for another reason).

  The machine in question was given to me in 1998 in the hopes that I could
use it, so one minimal installation of RedHat 5.2 (kernel is now Linux
2.0.39) later and it's colocated, running my website (and over the years, an
accumulation of websites of various friends) with an uptime (as of this
writing) of:

[spc]tower:~>uptime
 11:48pm up 357 days, 1:05, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.14, 0.13
[spc]tower:~>

  (Holy cow! Eight more days and I'll have a bona-fide year up time on
this! Didn't realize I was that close).

  I should say that the machine has been running in this capacity since I
received it in late '98 without a major problem (In '99 or so I added a
second 17G harddrive to the system since the 162MB drive it came with is a
*wee* bit small for its intended uses).

  -spc (In fact, I run elm on that system to check my email ... )