An on-topic machine *still* doing useful work

From: Robert Borsuk <rborsuk_at_colourfull.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 08:11:00 2003

Hey,
    I have the exact same machine except mine says AT&T Globalyst 515.
I guess somebody was OEMing them out. I had about 40 of these units
that I took into my TEC class and let the kids tear apart and build
there own systems. I kept one for myself as a souvenir. I got all of
those for free too.
Rob

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 11:54 PM, Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner
wrote:

> I thought you guys might enjoy the following photographs of a 486
> based
> NCR 3230 that is *still* in use, as a colocated server running a dozen
> websites (including mine [1]) and email:
>
> http://www.conman.org/people/myg/photos/tower486/
>
> The photos were taken by my friend (who happened to stop the
> colocation
> facility for another reason).
>
> The machine in question was given to me in 1998 in the hopes that I
> could
> use it, so one minimal installation of RedHat 5.2 (kernel is now Linux
> 2.0.39) later and it's colocated, running my website (and over the
> years, an
> accumulation of websites of various friends) with an uptime (as of this
> writing) of:
>
> [spc]tower:~>uptime
> 11:48pm up 357 days, 1:05, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.14, 0.13
> [spc]tower:~>
>
> (Holy cow! Eight more days and I'll have a bona-fide year up time on
> this! Didn't realize I was that close).
>
> I should say that the machine has been running in this capacity
> since I
> received it in late '98 without a major problem (In '99 or so I added a
> second 17G harddrive to the system since the 162MB drive it came with
> is a
> *wee* bit small for its intended uses).
>
> -spc (In fact, I run elm on that system to check my email ... )

Robert Borsuk - rborsuk_at_colourfull.com
President
Colourfull Creations
http://www.colourfull.com