Looking for....RL02 controller for PDP-8E M8433?

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 14:35:01 2003

--- Hans B Pufal <hansp_at_aconit.org> wrote:
> Jay West wrote:
> > Peter wrote....

I've been kicking around odd storage project ideas for *years* and
have yet to do more than putter. I even have a couple of blank proto
boards which would save me a *bundle* on a one-off (one hex, one
quad and a couple of duals).

I keep talking myself in circles about how best to do it. One thing
that hold me back is what chips to use for OMNIBUS interfacing. I
know what to use for Qbus (real DEC chips + LS240s, etc.). I know
a few things to use for the OMNIBUS (7438, 7401), but the Nat'l Semi
and other oddments are probably a poor choice for a new design.

I also gyrate into inaction about hardwired logic vs GALs vs FPGAs
vs microprocessors. Each has its good points and bad points (some are
easier to build, some are easier to modify, some are cheaper to build)

I also get tangled up in OMNIBUS vs posi/negi-bus devices. I have
a little of everything here, and would prefer to build as few varieties
of peripherals as possible.

Finally, given how simple some of the devices are to implement (DF-32,
RF-08, etc.), it's a choice of emulate an existing device or strike out
in an entirely new direction. One is easier to build (but requires
software effort), the other is easier to use but requires more design
effort.

I think I'll probably be happiest building someone elses design and let
them ask/answer the hard questions. Construction is not the hard part
for me; it's the woolgathering phase of design that I get stuck at. I'm
happy to be part of the process of a group-think, but on my own, I just
argue myself in circles about the best approach.

-ethan