PDP-11/35 FC?

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 15:03:38 2003

At 12:23 PM 3/28/03 -0800, Ethan wrote:
>--- Joe <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> First, what's the significance of the FC on the model number?
>
>No idea. If this were "Suspended", I'd guess "Filter Computer" :-)

    I wondered if it had anything to do with the front panel.

>> Second, I went through chassis and here's a list of the cards in it.
>
>> Slot: Card:
>> 4 M7231D H Data Path
>> 7 CI M60 made by QED Q
>> 9 90 CPU made by QED has DCJ11-AA IC Q
>> 11 MS 95 made by QED H
>
>Neat - plenty of horsepower there!

   If you say so. Can you tell me more?

>> 15-16 M920 U
>> 19-20 M920 U
>
>Jumper cards.

   What do they do, jumper the CPU section to memory section?

 Interesting comment about them here:

>http://www.varx.com/va01005.html
>
>I think they mean that in modern Unibus designs, the cable length
>is suboptimal to prevent signal reflection. The newer jumper blocks
>are taller with more mylar cable folded up inside. Consult DEC's
>Unibus Handbook for details on Unibus configuration. I figure if
>the machine has them now, they'll be OK, but if all you want to do
>is hook some DD11CKs and DD11DKs together, go with the newer ones.
>
>> 16 M7254 Q
>> 17 M7255 Q
>> 18 M7256 Q
>> 19 M7257 Q
>
>RK11D (including the backplane)
>
>> 22 M7762 H
>
>RL11 (RL01/RL02 controller - up to 4 drives)
>
>> 27 M7228 Q
>
>KW11-P real-time clock.
>
>> 29 M7800 Q
>> 31 M7800 Q
>> 33 M7800 Q
>
>DL-11E serial boards
>
>> 36 M7911 Q TMB11 TAPE CONTROL 1
>> 37 M7912 H TMB11 TAPE CONTROL 1 Hex

   I looked these two up and it looks like they're both tape controllers. Is that right? Why TWO controllers? There was both a PT reader/punch and mag tape drive on the system is that why it has two controllers? (Does each controller only handle one device?)

>> 38 M7821 fits in single slot (#2) SINGLE HEIGHT INTERRUPT CONTROL BD
>> 38 M105 fits in single slot (#3)
>> 38 M796 fits in single slot (#4) SINGLE HEIGHT UNIBUS MASTER CONTROL BD
>> 38 M930 U bus terminator? installed in bottom two slots
>> 39 M795 installed u[pside down. Is this correct?
>
>TS03 controller (the entire backplane - these aren't SPC (Small Peripheral
>Controller) slots).

   What's a TS-03 controller?

 Not sure about the M795 being upside-down. I'd
>check that before applying power. Sometimes non-DEC goobs aren't paying
>attention when they randomly pull boards.

    That's what I thought but I thought I'd ask the experts.

    Joe