Looking for....RL02 controller for PDP-8E M8433?

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 15:57:01 2003

--- Lawrence LeMay <lemay_at_cs.umn.edu> wrote:
> > > If you have an 8/E, I'm afraid an M8433 won't be any use to you,
> > > because it's an RL8A, which is a hex board, not a quad one. It's
> > > meant for a PDP-8/A.
> >
> > Uggg... so is there hope of any attainable mass storage for my 8E?
> > Ideas?
>
> There are no easy solutions.
>
> If you have a RL02, then you need a 8/a chassis, cables... interface...
> ...cable ... terminator. Odds are you don't have most of those parts.

With several machines, *I* don't even have all of those parts (never had
any way to link up multiple backplanes)

> If you have a 8/F or 8/M, it is possible to remove one of the case fans,
> and install the hex wide interface into the chassis. Then you just need
> the cable for the first drive and the drive terminator.

Interesting suggestion. I don't have either an -8/F or -8/M and would
not have thought of that.

I do not know if the same cable arrangement works for the RL8A as the
RL11, but if it did, that would be superb. I know of (at least) three
arrangements:

  RL8A - custom cable - Berg on one end, RL01/RL02 on the other
  RL11 - ordinary DEC 40-pin shielded cable to a transition connector
          typically bolted to the rack near the first drive
  RLV12 - custom cable, but not the same part number as the RL8A cable.

Since the transition connector is *identical* to the pair that are screwed
to the back of a drive, they can be had when scrapping a dead drive if
not already available. The rack mounting bracket is another matter, but
that's easily fabricated/replicated.

> Otherwise, You need a quad wide RK05 interface (definitely available, but
> probably expensive),

Probably expensive, but not *commonly* available.

> the cable (usually not available, but possible to manufacture),

I'm going to use the one from my RKV11D (since I don't really need
an RK05 on a Qbus PDP-11 full time). It's the same paddle and dual-
40-pin cable set.

> a RK05? drive, and drive terminator.

Drive terminators are relatively common - M930 Unibus terminator (the short
one that you *don't* use in "modern" boxes)

> Plus you need special 16 sector DECpacks to use with the RK05.

Most rare (unless you find a cache of them). I have many 12-sector
packs, collected over 20 years. I have *two* 16-sector packs (also
collected over 20 years).

> Personally, I just bought a RK05j and when they get around to shipping
> it, I hope to finally have a chance of getting one of my 8/E's going
> with mass storage!...

Good luck with that. I'm right there behind you, once I get the -8/e
debugged (got spare parts present or on the way!) I've used RK05s
on PDP-11s, but not a PDP-8, yet.

-ethan