Looking for....RL02 controller for PDP-8E M8433?

From: Lawrence LeMay <lemay_at_cs.umn.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 31 19:49:01 2003

> > > Uggg... so is there hope of any attainable mass storage for my 8E?
> > > Ideas?
> >
> > There are no easy solutions.
> >
> > If you have a RL02, then you need a 8/a chassis, cables... interface...
> > ...cable ... terminator. Odds are you don't have most of those parts.
>
> With several machines, *I* don't even have all of those parts (never had
> any way to link up multiple backplanes)

Well, I bought the cable that interconnects a quad omnibus with a hex
omnibus. So someday when I get an empty 8/A chassis, and that cable
that goes from the RL8A to the first drive, I can get a RL01 running.

> > If you have a 8/F or 8/M, it is possible to remove one of the case fans,
> > and install the hex wide interface into the chassis. Then you just need
> > the cable for the first drive and the drive terminator.
>
> Interesting suggestion. I don't have either an -8/F or -8/M and would
> not have thought of that.

I never would have thought of that either ;) It was mentioned in one
of the old DEC 12-big SIG newsletters.

> > Otherwise, You need a quad wide RK05 interface (definitely available, but
> > probably expensive),
>
> Probably expensive, but not *commonly* available.

Oh, i disagree. I see them listed in DEC resellers lists all the time.
I usually dont want to pay their prices... For example, Omni
Systems Associates lists both a RK8E and a RK8L, either of which
would work (but, expensive). Continental Computers also lists the
boards, but their lists arent always accurate and you have to ask for
a quote. But, always mention you're a collector looking for parts as
a hobby, and many of these resellers will give reasonable quotes instead
of the 'gouge the big company' quotes.

> > the cable (usually not available, but possible to manufacture),
>
> I'm going to use the one from my RKV11D (since I don't really need
> an RK05 on a Qbus PDP-11 full time). It's the same paddle and dual-
> 40-pin cable set.

Are you sure its a M993 ?

> > Plus you need special 16 sector DECpacks to use with the RK05.
>
> Most rare (unless you find a cache of them). I have many 12-sector
> packs, collected over 20 years. I have *two* 16-sector packs (also
> collected over 20 years).

I bought 4 from Bruce Thompson. Also bought the quad-to-hex omnibus
cable I mentioned previously from him.

-Lawrence LeMay