Vaxen vultures on ebay ... and is "rtlacy" here?

From: Gunther Schadow <gunther_at_aurora.regenstrief.org>
Date: Fri Mar 28 17:58:00 2003

Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Gunther Schadow wrote:
>

>>Joe Moir from Boston just did the ultimate sell off of his VAX11 gear.
>>Boy the stuff went for $50 per box. An 11/780, 11/785, and an 11/795,
>>ahem, 8650. The were all in ugly parted out shape, but significant
>>sources for spares. I now have an 11/785 backplane, and since my 11/780
>>doesn't work properly anyway, I can just as well start converting it.
>

> *Sigh*
> So we have another bunch of machines that will never run again, just
> because someone figured he could make more money by selling them off in
> pieces.
>
> Oh well, since we're at it: does anyone have 64MB or 16MB boards for an
> 86x0 machine? I'd sure love some.

Nono, you got that message wrong. Joe Moir was in the parts reselling
business and he didn't have too bad prices and it does come in handy
if you just need a few boards replaced. Anyway, he had now been selling
off 3 big machines, which I think is nice (although it gets me worried
he might leave the business.)

If you can find out who this "rtlacy" guy is -- he must be one of us,
as he's been collecting a bunch of DEC parts -- then you could ask him
for the 8650 RAM boards. Well, now that I think about it, he could
also be a DEC reseller with some local market (he hasn't been selling
parts on ebay, largely a buyer's profile.

regards,
-Gunther