Apple II Graphics Tablet

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 28 19:46:01 2003

> I recently acquired an Apple II graphics tablet, along with the controller
> and a plastic overlay that isn't in great shape. Does anyone have any
> overlays for this thing? It's really cool and I'd like to get it all cleaned

I think the overlay was custom Apple (it had the funcion menu across the
top), but the tablet was actually a Sumagraphics unit with an Apple
interface card (the pen and the tablet driver PCB are Sumagraphics).
Maybe a standard Sumagraphics overlay could be used (write in the menu
functions by hand or something).

> up nicely and connected to my II+.

It's a fun toy. I got one surplus before I had an Apple ][, so I made an
interface to connect it to my CoCo. The digital side wasn't too bad (a
CoCo protortyping card covered in TTL counters, etc). But I also had to
make a box with a PSU, drivers fro the tablet trigger lines, and the
sense amplifier for the pen in it. Getting that working, without the
amplifier picking up noise, was an entertainment.

-tony