Looking for....RL02 controller for PDP-8E M8433?

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Mar 30 12:21:00 2003

--- Patrick Finnegan <pat_at_purdueriots.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>
> > RLV12 - custom cable, but not the same part number as the RL8A cable.
>
> Does this mean it's not a straight-through cable?

I don't know. In this particular thread what I mean by "custom cable"
is that one end of a 1/2" diameter cable with many twisted pairs has an
RL01/RL02 end, the other has a 40-pin Berg connector with no obviously
visible pattern to it.

The RL11 and RLV11 use a flat ribbon cable and a transition bracket. It's
obvious from simple inspection which pins go where.

The RL8A and RLV12 cables that I have seen have different part numbers.
I would quote chapter and verse, but I do not know which box mine are
in to lay hands on them. :-(

> I've got a straight-thru cable going from my RLV12 to the RL02, but
> never got it to work... I don't have the transition cable/connector or
> external DEC cable for the RL02 (but, yes, I do have a terminator).

Hmm... I have never seen anyone do that, but in theory, if you have the
signals lined up, it should work. Do you have the docs for the RLV12
and the RL02 to verify what signals go where? There's a *possibility*
you have a simple mirror-image problem. I have seen that sort of thing
crop up with flat cables and odd arrangements before - think of the
issues with DEC SDI drives and cables - odd numbers of cables between
the drive and controller don't work - you need those transition brackets
and a pair of cables in-between to flip and reflip the signals around.
DEC stuff is designed not to smoke (in 99.995% of cases) when you plug
something in backwards.

It shouldn't take verifying more than a handful of signals to establish
if your current cabling does the right thing or not.

-ethan