Ignoring Mount requests on startup in OpenVMS

From: Patrick Finnegan <pat_at_purdueriots.com>
Date: Sun Mar 30 21:27:00 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> >I have a VAX running VMS 7.1 that is looking for a volume thats not
> >actually in existence anymore. It does this during startup and doesn't
> >give up... Being a VMS newbie and all, how would I tell the system to
> >ignore this and continue /w the boot?
> >
> >for example....
> >
> >%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 30-MAR-2003 21:28:59.95 %%%%%%%%%%%
> >Request 1, from user SYSTEM on ODIF01
> >Please mount volume USER2 in device _$1$DKB100: (ODIF01)
>
> Try the following to figure out what startup file is trying to mount the disk:
>
> $ SEARCH *.COM USER2
>
> I'm guessing it's located in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, you can simply edit the
> file by doing a:
>
> $ EDIT SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM and either remove the line totally or comment it
> out by putting a '!' after the '$' on that line. When done with your edit
> do a CTRL-Z to save and exit (assuming you're using the default editor).,

I don't think he's going to be able to edit the file if he can't get the
machine to boot up because it's waiting for the op to mount the volume.
I'm guessing he needs to know how to get the machine to boot without
executing the script that's trying to mount that.

My suggestion would be to search google for how to recover a lost root
password in VMS, that'll probably point you in the direction you need to
look to get a DCL prompt without executing startup scripts.

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue