tractor-feed paper sizes?

From: Dan Williams <>
Date: Wed Dec 22 05:24:14 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:07:04 -0800 (PST), Eric Smith <> wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know anything about obscure sizes of tractor-feed
> paper?
> We've now got the console typewriter of the PDP-1 at the Computer History
> Museum working correctly. It is an IBM Model B electric typewriter
> modified by Soroban Engineering for use as an I/O device. Soroban added
> an encoder and a decoder mechanism, using switches, solenoids, bails, etc.
> There was a bent leaf switch contact that resulted in incorrect character
> codes on input, and two stuck solenoids that resulted in incorrect
> characters typed.
> Anyhow, the typewriter will accept individual sheets, but it also has
> tractors for continuous forms. But the distance between the sprockets
> is approximately 13 1/8", which is narrower than the sprocket spacing
> of standard line-printer paper.
> A Google search reveals plenty of places that sell 9 1/2" wide or
> 14 7/8" wide continuous forms, but are other sizes readily available?
> Thanks!
> Eric Smith
> volunteer, Computer History Museum PDP-1 Restoration Project
13 1/8 paper is called "foolscap folio". I had a quick check on
google, but I couldn't find if this was American or English foolscap.
But it might be easier to ask for it by name then by size.

Received on Wed Dec 22 2004 - 05:24:14 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:36:39 BST