AUI cables in UK?

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 08:37:55 2004

>> -----Original Message----- From: cctalk-bounces_at_classiccmp.org

 witchy> Blue? I've never seen a blue AUI cable! Then again I only
 witchy> worked with moulded DEC ones so I dunno about 3rd party
 witchy> products :)

The early AUI cables with the stiff cable and metal-shell connectors
came in several colors. Blue was one. Some vague memory says that it
may depend on the insulation material. Some cables were Teflon
insulation, which allows them to be run into dropped ceilings.
(U.S. firecodes require non-flammable materials in those areas.)
Those were originally a translucent tan color, with markings printed
on a strip of paper underneath the outer layer. Blue ones were, I
think, PVC or polyethylene insulation, which is a lot less expensive
and easier to handle but allowed only in office areas and under raised
floors.

Similar considerations apply to the Ethernet coax itself, though the
original fat (10Base5) was only sold in Teflon grade, at least by
DEC. They switched to offering two choices with 10Base2 (Thinwire).

There was some prototype 10Base5 cable that was yellow PE, though. It
had black stripes to mark transceiver spacing. So it got the nickname
"yellowjacket".

      paul