AUI cables in UK?

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 08:45:47 2004

>> I want to use my AUI <-> 10bT tranciever with my 4000/200 but I
>> can't get the cover on with it connected directly to the AUI port.

 der> Provided the wire is short, you don't need a pukka cable. I
 der> once built an AUI cable from two DB15 connectors and about eight
 der> inches of random 15-pin ribbon cable I had lying around. (I
 der> first tried it with some six or eight feet of the same ribbon
 der> cable, but the error rate was insane. But six to eight inches
 der> is short enough that at 10Mb speeds the impedance bump becomes
 der> invisible.)

Good point. The AUI cable specs are in the Ethernet standard (which
you can find in bitsavers.org in the xerox/ethernet directory). If
you have to fake an AUI cable, I would think a good way to go would be
to use Category 5 cable, with the pairs matched up with the
differential pairs on the AUI cable. It doesn't quite match -- I
think cat 5 is either 100 or 150 ohm cable, and AUI cable is supposed
to be 78. Also, the AUI spec calls for shielded pairs. AUI cable is
also 4 pairs though you need one more wire for the "shield".

Pinout:
1 shield
2 collision +
3 transmit +
5 receive +
6 ground
9 collision -
10 transmit -
12 receive -
13 power

The connector is a DB-15 with unusual latches, but if you ignore the
latches then a stock DB-15 will work.

        paul