AUI cables in UK?

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 16:28:53 2004

On Mar 5, 9:37, Paul Koning wrote:

> There was some prototype 10Base5 cable that was yellow PE, though.
 It
> had black stripes to mark transceiver spacing. So it got the
nickname
> "yellowjacket".

According to the standard, the markings are supposed to be on all
10base5 cable; they're to indicate where it's safe to put a
transceiver, and where to cut the cable at the ends. They're every 2.5
metres, and there should be at least two between transceivers.
 However, I've seen cable that didn't have the bands, but it was
probably ordinary coax rather than intended specifically for ethernet.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager