AUI cables in UK?

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 16:28:55 2004

On Mar 5, 8:14, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Pete Turnbull wrote:

> > The moulded ones, usually beige in colour, a bit thicker than a
pencil,
> > or somewhat thicker than thinnet cable, are office-grade.
[...]
> > All the standard-grade ones I've
> > ever seen are blue, and about as thick as yellow etherhose.

> Ah, thanks for solving the mystery of the weird DA15 cables I got in
the
> other day. Now I know these are AUI cables. Useful.

As Paul pointed out, there were other colours -- they just happen to be
very rare here, and I've only ever seen blue ones. However, some of
those blue ones weren't PVC, so perhaps they're low smoke/no fume
(LSOF). I've also got at least two types of thick ether cable, but
both are yellow. And several types of thinnet, including yellow and
grey as well as the more common black.

As Paul and der Mouse suggested, I agree that it would be worth making
up a short flexible AUI cable. Cat 5 is 100-ohm, and ribbon cable is
not far off that IIRC; you could use STP instead of UTP to get the
shield (some Sun cables are STP), or just ignore it for really a short
(a few inches) cable. Or a chunk of old good-quality serial cable
should do a good job over short distances, I expect.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager