DBlist (was: AUI cables in UK?

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 17:30:21 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Paul Koning wrote:
> I've never heard of DA-anything; the terminology I'm familiar with is
It's nothing to be ashamed of, MOST of the public is ignorant about that.

> DB-n where N can be 9, 15, 25, even 37...
wrong
> DB-9 is the PC serial connector;
That's RIGHT! The original (5150) PC used a 25 pin connector (DB25), but
not all of the signals were always used.
Therefore, a DB25 that implements 1-8 and 20 would be a DB9!

> that shell also is used (with 3 rows of pins) for VGA.
> DB-15, the AUI connector shell, is the same height as DB-9 and DB-25
> but in between for width. The pin spacing and pin arrangement (i.e.,
> one row offset a half pitch from the other) is the same for all three.

WRONG.

It is a COMMON misconception. So common that the clueless clerk at Radio
Shack never heard of the difference, and most suppliers don't CARE about
the "correct" designation. Very similar in its level of acceptance to
thinking that a kilobyte is 1000 bytes, or that a megabyte is 1000000
bytes. (and 1024000 bytes in a megabyte indicates a total lack of
intelligence)

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin_at_xenosoft.com