AUI cables in UK?

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 5 22:58:08 2004

> >> The connector is a DB-15 with unusual latches, but if you ignore
> >> the latches then a stock DB-15 will work.
>
> Tony> Actually, it's a DA15 (the DB15 doesn't exist AFAIK), and
> Tony> normally has the standard slidelock latches.
>
> I've never heard of DA-anything; the terminology I'm familiar with is
> DB-n where N can be 9, 15, 25, even 37... DB-9 is the PC serial

That's because the DB shell size was the most common (DB25 is used for
real RS232 ports and PC parallel ports), so some people decided that
_all_ such connectors are called 'DBn'. But the letter really indicates
the shell size (there are 5 standard ones, and 2 (at least) less standard
ones).

> connector; that shell also is used (with 3 rows of pins) for VGA.
> DB-15, the AUI connector shell, is the same height as DB-9 and DB-25

In which case DB15 means both the AUI conenctor and the PC VGA connector.
And yet they're very different! (the former is a DA15, the latter a DE15,
of course)

-tony