GEEEEEEEEEEZE!

From: J.C. Wren <jcwren_at_jcwren.com>
Date: Mon Mar 8 19:46:59 2004

Joe R. wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>Hitachi drives, OTOH, seem to be the most reliable.
>>

> That's funny. IBM drives didn't use to be worth the trouble to carry
>them home. I guess they gave up trying to make their own drives and started
>buying then from someone that knows what they're doing!
>
> Joe

Uh, no. IBM Storage Technology has more patents than any other drive
manufacturer, and is responsible for a large number of the trends in
storage technology. IBM drives were as good as anything else out there,
until their 60GXP and 75GXP fiasco. But since drives were becoming such
a commodity item, IBM sold off their storage technology division to
Hitachi.

I've never knowingly used a Hitachi drive, so I can't comment on how
good they are or aren't. I do know that until the 60/75GXP problem, I'd
have zero hesitations about buying IBM drives, and had Deskstars in a
number of systems at work. They're as good or better than Maxtor, and
there's no comparing them to WD drives (I think a piece of petrified dog
crap is more reliable than a WD drive).

    --jc