KL-10 question

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 08:52:12 2004

 Vintage> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> The VAX8600 was targeted at large IBM sites, so they put in an
>> oversized power cable and receptacle, that was the same as for the
>> IBM equipment they planned to replace.

 Vintage> Yeah, check it out:

 Vintage> http://www.siconic.com/computers/vax3.jpg

 Vintage> It's bigger than my hand.

I think those are called "Russell-Stoll" connectors -- standard
industrial grade connectors especially for high current 3 phase
power.

The cable doesn't look all that fat, not as bad as the KL-10 cable I
remember. It should be marked with a wire gauge and wire type (for
example "ST 8AWG" and perhaps a temperature rating. That information
will give you the current rating.

Since copper is expensive, even if the plug is oversize the cable
might not be. The cable in the picture could be a 40 amp 3phase
cable, or somewhere in that range.

By the way, electrical equiment generally has a "name plate" which is
a label with electrical information near where the cable comes into
the cabinet. I'd expect something like that somewhere on the KL-10
power inlet box or power distribution unit. That should answer the
question, or at least give an upper bound.

          paul