GEEEEEEEEEEZE!

From: John Boffemmyer IV <john_boffemmyer_iv_at_boff-net.dhs.org>
Date: Tue Mar 9 06:52:23 2004

A couple years back, i remember actual IBM drives that had the glass
platters. I liked those. Most of them that I worked with were reliable and
the 2 that did crash and burn were fun to play with (see: disassembly;
hammer and butane torch), grin.

-John Boffemmyer IV

At 07:45 AM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:46:59 -0500
> > "J.C. Wren" <jcwren_at_jcwren.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I do know that until the 60/75GXP problem, I'd
> > > have zero hesitations about buying IBM drives, and had Deskstars in a
> > > number of systems at work. They're as good or better than Maxtor, and
> > >
> > > there's no comparing them to WD drives
> > I have _lots_ of broken IBM 066? drives and all IBM DFHS drives I came
> > acros have sticky heads.
>
>Have you contacted Hitachi about the DFHS models? At one point IBM
>produced a firmware upgrade to boost startup torque on the DFHS and
>similar models. It was a known problem, IIRC.
>
>Steve

Founder, Lead Writer, Tech Analyst
and Web Designer Boff-Net Technologies
http://boff-net.dhs.org/index.html