Anyone familar with the HP 9000 700i Series computers?

From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw_at_mesanet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 14:49:55 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Joe R. wrote:

> At 02:59 PM 3/8/04 -0600, you wrote:
> >The age-old trick is boot to single user mode, then change the password with
> >the passwd command.
>
> Well I've tried everything that I can think of and everything that
> everyone suggested. I get the ISL> prompt but I can't run PASSWD. The help
> screen says to use LS to display th ISL utilities. When I do that the only
> things listed are FS, HPUX and ODE. I tried to execute a couple of common
> programs like VI and it doesn't find them either. One of the Man pages that
> I found online
> <http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/doc/man/hpux/isl.1m.html> said that
> if you turn the Autoboot off and then load ISL that you will have access to
> "any isl command name or the name of any utility available on the system"
> but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I found this little note to myself in my home directory. Its probably
something I found on the net...

Have someone type "sync" about four times while the system is idle.
Cycle power on the machine and when the prompt comes for the autoboot
stop it, say you want to boot from the primary path, and you want to
interact with IPL. Type "hpux -is (;0)/hp-ux" for 9.X and
"hpux -is (;0)/stand/vmunix" for 10.X and it will bring the system
up in single user mode. Depending on your filesystem layout you
may need to mount the /usr partition. When it's up, do what you
need to get a password file in place and then run
"/etc/shutdown -r now" for 9.X or "/usr/sbin/shutdown -r now" for
10.X. It will probably do some file system checks but should be ok.

Peter Wallace