VAXStation disk question

From: John Lawson <jpl15_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 23:59:22 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Mark Tapley wrote:

> Not a real guru, but: you might try SHO DEV at the chevron. My
> 4000VLC could be set to boot from a device

  O my yes but you *are* The Guru! That's exactly what was needed - 'SHO
DEV' at the chevron spun up the poor unoffending disk that Neanderthal
Sysop was so recently beating on.

 And then I could:

>>> SHO BOOT
DKA300

but of course

>>>B DKA300:

   42 NOSUCHFILE
   84 FAIL

 because there's no OS, it's most likely just a swap device as Zane points
out below.

  But I

SET BOOT DKA300

so at least

tries to boot from the RZ23, which naturally tells me to go away.

 So now I'll plug a SCSI CDROM into it and give it a real OS and then
maybe I can still see if there's anything mind-altering on the drive

 Anyway, if nothing else I have another known good working base system,
should something Permanent happen to my other 3100. Plus I learned various
cool things in the process.

  Tremendous T-H-A-N-X to Y'All!!

Cheers

John