AUI cables in UK?

From: Paul Koning <>
Date: Wed Mar 10 08:12:40 2004

>>>>> "Ethan" == Ethan Dicks <> writes:

 Ethan> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 05:22:10PM -0000, Antonio Carlini
 Ethan> wrote:
>> I guess I could use thickwire too (given a big enough room) but I
>> only have one vampire tap with H4000, no cable and no tools to do
>> the actual attachment (although I do have one of those H4000 test
>> devices). With one attachment I'm not sure I can really call it a
>> network :-)

 Ethan> I have entertained thoughts of a Thickwire segment on my home
 Ethan> network. I have a couple of vampire taps, at least one
 Ethan> intrusive transceiver (N connectors rather than the tap), but
 Ethan> no cable. I think I would also need to at least borrow one of
 Ethan> the proper step drills of the day unless there's a workable
 Ethan> kludge I could do.

>From what I remember, the drill used to install the tap is a simple
drill, not a step dril. Quite possibly an awl might work.

You should be able to use a conventional 50 ohm coax of roughly the
right diameter -- say, RG-8 or thereabouts. The precise specs are in
the Ethernet standard. But I expect you could just shim the vampire
clamp a bit if the cable is slightly undersized.

Just place the transceivers at multiples of 2.5 meters apart just as
if you had stripes on the cable.

Meanwhile, returning to the original topic: I just found some Ethernet
AUI connectors, including right angle ones -- with proper slide lock
hardware and all -- in the Digikey catalog.  They are made by AMP,
price quantity one around $9.50 as I recall.  Depending on how much
you're willing to spend, that could be an option.  Digikey is a US
company but I assume they'd ship to the UK.  Or you could search their
catalog for the connector and then find a UK purveyor of that product.
Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 08:12:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:04 BST