AUI cables in UK?

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Wed Mar 10 08:12:40 2004

 Ethan> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 05:22:10PM -0000, Antonio Carlini
 Ethan> wrote:
>> I guess I could use thickwire too (given a big enough room) but I
>> only have one vampire tap with H4000, no cable and no tools to do
>> the actual attachment (although I do have one of those H4000 test
>> devices). With one attachment I'm not sure I can really call it a
>> network :-)

 Ethan> I have entertained thoughts of a Thickwire segment on my home
 Ethan> network. I have a couple of vampire taps, at least one
 Ethan> intrusive transceiver (N connectors rather than the tap), but
 Ethan> no cable. I think I would also need to at least borrow one of
 Ethan> the proper step drills of the day unless there's a workable
 Ethan> kludge I could do.

>From what I remember, the drill used to install the tap is a simple
drill, not a step dril. Quite possibly an awl might work.

You should be able to use a conventional 50 ohm coax of roughly the
right diameter -- say, RG-8 or thereabouts. The precise specs are in
the Ethernet standard. But I expect you could just shim the vampire
clamp a bit if the cable is slightly undersized.

Just place the transceivers at multiples of 2.5 meters apart just as
if you had stripes on the cable.

---
Meanwhile, returning to the original topic: I just found some Ethernet
AUI connectors, including right angle ones -- with proper slide lock
hardware and all -- in the Digikey catalog.  They are made by AMP,
price quantity one around $9.50 as I recall.  Depending on how much
you're willing to spend, that could be an option.  Digikey is a US
company but I assume they'd ship to the UK.  Or you could search their
catalog for the connector and then find a UK purveyor of that product.
	paul