[OT] Dodgy electrolytic in 3COM hub

From: John Honniball <coredump_at_gifford.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 15 15:13:07 2004

Witchy wrote:
> On dismantling I
> find that one of the electrolytic caps on the power regulator side of things
> is looking (to me) unwell in that it has a brown stain on the top over one
> of the joins:
>
> http://www.wowrarelook.co.uk/cap.jpg

Great domain name!

> I gather replacement is necessary since it's obviously on its way out?

Yup, that's a duff electrolytic all right. I recently replaced 15
like that one in a PC motherboard. The lowest was at 300 OHMS!
The hardest part is getting the solder out of the holes when there's
a nice solid ground plane to take all the heat away from the iron.

I got new capacitors from Farnell, about 50p each.

--
John Honniball
coredump_at_gifford.co.uk