[OT] Dodgy electrolytic in 3COM hub

From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf_at_siconic.com>
Date: Mon Mar 15 07:11:42 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Witchy wrote:

> This is totally nowhere near the 10 year rule since the chips have datecodes
> of 9951 on 'em, but the theory of failure is the same. It's a 16 port 10/100
> hub and it whistles like a bastard when its powered up. On dismantling I
> find that one of the electrolytic caps on the power regulator side of things
> is looking (to me) unwell in that it has a brown stain on the top over one
> of the joins:
>
> http://www.wowrarelook.co.uk/cap.jpg
>
> I gather replacement is necessary since it's obviously on its way out?

Is this a 3Com OfficeConnect Dual Speed Hub 8? If so, I posted about this
very problem not two months ago. I was told to replace the cap. Not
surprisingly, I never got around to doing it (it's still on the list o'
things to do) so I can't tell you if that fixed the problem (mine was more
of a loud hiss) or not.