[OT] Dodgy electrolytic in 3COM hub

From: John Boffemmyer IV <john_boffemmyer_iv_at_boff-net.dhs.org>
Date: Mon Mar 15 16:32:10 2004

Ab-so-friggin-lutely. Bad, buldging, stained cap ='s bad cap. Same damned
thing happened on a 4 port NetGear Router I had and an ABIT KT7-A
motherboard. With the ABIT, it was a known problem to the point where 3
shops cropped up in the US just to replace the bad caps. These were termed
by ABIT as unit repair technical facilities for their Customer Service and
Technical Support teams since ABIT apparently were cheap bastards and made,
oh, 100,000 of those boards with that issue with the same faulty caps.
NetGear is known for being cheap and a similar cap as the one you pictured,
blew in the 4 port router I had. Their tech support sucked and one of these
days, I'll just replace the damned cap myself. Good luck doing it.

-John Boffemmyer IV

At 03:48 PM 3/15/2004, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>This is totally nowhere near the 10 year rule since the chips have datecodes
>of 9951 on 'em, but the theory of failure is the same. It's a 16 port 10/100
>hub and it whistles like a bastard when its powered up. On dismantling I
>find that one of the electrolytic caps on the power regulator side of things
>is looking (to me) unwell in that it has a brown stain on the top over one
>of the joins:
>
>http://www.wowrarelook.co.uk/cap.jpg
>
>I gather replacement is necessary since it's obviously on its way out?
>
>Cheers all,
>
>--
>Adrian/Witchy
>Owner & Webmaster, Binary Dinosaurs