72VDC power?

From: Joe R. <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 16 07:08:41 2004

  I picked up a couple of rack mount computers last week. Most of them were
made by Harris and Texas Micro and are MOL standard passive backplace type
stuff. However one of them was made by Kontron and it has a very strange
power connector. It's a black cylinder about 1 1/4" in diameter and about 1
1/2" long that sticks out of the chassis. The back half of the cylinder is
threaded so it appears that the mating connector screws onto it. The front
portion of the cylinder is divided lenghtwise into five segments. Four of
the sements have holes in them with a male connector pin resessed into the
holes. I opened the chassis and found that it was marked as being built to
operate off of 72 VDC power and that all four connecotr pins are wired tot
he PSU. Is anyone familar with the type of connector or why or where they
use 72 VDC power? The computer doesn't look like anything exceptional. It
has a 10 MHz 286 CPU and uses a 9" CRT in it for the monitor. The only
thing of real interest in it was a GPIB card. This one was made by INES
(IIRC) in Germany. I've never heard of this brand before. The chassis does
have one odd feature. The motherboard sits crossways in it and there are
cables that plug into the back panel connectors of the various cards
(they're now on the RH side of the computer since the MB is sideways) and
run around to the back of the computer and connect to connectors there.

Received on Tue Mar 16 2004 - 07:08:41 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:04 BST