ST42400N?

From: Brad Parker <brad_at_heeltoe.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 13:48:11 2004

ben franchuk wrote:
>Brad Parker wrote:
>> Andreas Holz wrote:
>It's for an XL1200, the last in the line of ivory based machines.
>>
>> My understanding is that the FEP and genera can both format SCSI drives.
>> They won't format ESDI drives (which I have lots of) due to the need for
>> a bad block list.
>>
>So create a DUMMY bad block list and use the stupid drive is what I think.
>Jsut don't make the boot sector bad! :)

The problem is that they format the disks with a non-standard block size
(remember, lisp machines existed long before PC's) and they don't supply
the software to format the ESDI disks.

I suppose if I had an ESDI controller on another machine which would
allow me to format ESDI disks with arbitrary block sizes I could do it.
But I don't know any such beast.

I suppose there has to be ISA bus ESDI controller from WD - any know if
such a controller will allow one to format a disk with a block size > 512?

-brad