Looking for a device programmer that doesn't require Weendoze

From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw_at_mesanet.com>
Date: Sun Mar 21 09:40:28 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, J.C. Wren wrote:

> Fred N. van Kempen wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> >

> >>Does anyone know where I can get a device (EPROM, flash, etc) programmer that

> >[anti-Windows rant deleted]
> >
> >With all the brains collected on this list, how hard would it be to
> >actually make one, to our own standards? Geez.
> >
> >--f
> >

> If you want a device that programs generic parts, not difficult.
> But many manufacturers do not release the programming algorithms except
> to companies that are in the business. I can just imagine the support
> issues.

What parts do not have published programming algorithms? I you are buying your
own parts, just avoid chips or manufacturers that don't provide this
information.

To make a universal programmer, yes, getting the programming algorithms for
A wide range of chips and manufacturers is a problem, but the original
question was about 32 pin EPROM/FLASH. These all have published programming
algorithms since they are expected to be programmed in-circuit, so a
programmer for this type of chip is easily done.

Older GALs (Lattice at least) have a published programming algorithm.

Most newer CPLDs that I am aware of have a published programming algorithm
(for the same reason as above, they support in-circuit programming)

Many microcontrollers have published programming specs...

Peter Wallace