SV: Looking for a device programmer that doesn't require Weendoze

From: Brad Parker <brad_at_heeltoe.com>
Date: Sun Mar 21 18:01:41 2004

Paul Koning wrote:

>Place and route is the one that I find myself fighting with. Things
>like: (a) run a synthesis, with pins unlocked. (b) just to check
>things, run the exact same design with the pins locked to what (a)
>chose. Result: synthesis fails, not enough room. #&_at_$*(#@* so how
>is a person supposed to create a design that can be tweaked and still
>work on the same PCB layout?

Heh. I thought it was just me that had that problem :-) (trying to
squeeze 5.1lbs in to a 4.995lbs bag :-)

I was just concidering this same point this morning. I think the trick
is to try out several variations before you layout the pcb and keep the
utiltization under 70%...

I often have to fiddle endlessly to get some designs to fit (and use the
correct pins).

(I generally pick xilinx parts which have a 2x size with the same pinout
just in case)

>Answer: this is normal. Gronk. I guess it's a trick to make you buy
>bigger FPGAs...

ahah! :-)

-brad