KA620

From: ben franchuk <bfranchuk_at_jetnet.ab.ca>
Date: Tue Mar 23 17:00:44 2004

Michael Sokolov wrote:
> ben franchuk <bfranchuk_at_jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:
>

>>Like who would invest in a NEW LS-TTL computer?
>

> Someone who is truly dedicated to the cause of computing, who understands that
> computing technology took the wrong turn about 20 years ago, and who is
> dedicated to fixing it and setting it back on track.
>
> That's why I'm building a new VAX, a real bona fide VAX product just like DEC,
> NOT an emulator.

I think we need real CPU's not just emulators for the classic computers
of all the older systems. In real life I have not had much good luck
with the vax, since it was in the era of "Thou users shall not touch
the most holy VAX".

> When the Republic of Mars declares independence and holds its first presidential
> election, I'll definitely run with a platform of immigration and customs laws
> that would require migrants from Earth to leave their pee seas behind and allow
> only Classic Computers to be used in the Republic of Mars. Supplying the entire
> Republic of Mars with enough VAX processors will be no small task, and the
> limited stockpiled of old DEC gear will certainly be insufficient. We need new
> production.

Well count me a rebel, Down with VAX, down with the Republic!
"Organic transistors and computers need to be developed on MARS,
not silicon stuff." I favor a simple techological base for MARS
since I could not be independant with having to rely on some EARTH
patent or custom chip, for basic things like air or food and water.

BTW Travel to MARS is keeping me from claming my 3.125 square miles
of land.

> We need new real Classic Computers in full production. Emulators are not the
> answer: what are you going to run your emulator on if non-Classic computers are
> banned?
>
> MS

Pulls out a slide rule. (-_-)
Ben.