UFO over DEC

From: Fred N. van Kempen <waltje_at_pdp11.nl>
Date: Fri Mar 26 17:07:02 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Antonio Carlini wrote:

> > I would think it would work, but I can offer no guarantees.
Its a rebadged Philips, if it has the round cable for interfacing,
its the same. Philips DID send out units with a different interface,
which used parallel cabling.

> I'm not 100% certain but I'm 99% certain that the RRD40 and RRD50 have
> the same (LMSI??) interface. The KRQ50 will work with either. I had an
Yup, the KRQ50 used LMSI. (LM == LaserMagnetics; the working company
at Philips that did all the optical research at the time.)

> RRD50 in my cube for quite a while and a KRQ50 to go with it but no
> interface cable. Pity. The RRD50 had the distinction of being about the
> only CDROM drive in the whole history of humanity that could rival an
> RRD40 for slowness. (OK, I almost certainly exaggerate, but probably not
> by much, and it would have been fun to see).
Its dog-slow, data transfers were serial.

Still, I'd love to have a KRQ50. Ahwell.

--f